Monday, May 16, 2016

Poets as Librarians: Marrying the worlds of writing and librarianship

Smith, Sean

SS


This article discusses the relationships between poets as librarians and building a sustainable poetry collection. The author discusses the duality of the writing and library communities and how she balances both.

As a writer and librarian, I found this article to be helpful and insightful. Like the author of this article, I typically keep my writing life separate from my work life, which happens to be in a public library. The thought of bringing in poets to read to the library has crossed my mind but to be honest, I don’t believe that the patrons of our library would be very receptive to this. Our patrons are more interested in local history, and culture in our city isn’t really a priority among citizens.

An interesting quote at the conclusion of the article: “It is my hope that the networks between poet librarians will grow, helping us to collaborate while supporting each other through the (equally stressful?) process of writing and librarianship.”

Tags: poets, poetry, librarians, writers, writing

Sean Smith, Spring 2016, INFO 266

No comments:

Post a Comment