Monday, March 9, 2015

Collections Are for Collisions

Casso, Gillian

Collections Are for Collisions

Bell, S. J. (2014). Collections are for collisions. American Libraries, 45(9/10), 46-49

Summery:
This article explains that serendipitous discovery in the stacks is a good thing for patrons. Even though many libraries are moving their collections more towards digital access, technology solutions can present ways in which patrons can still have those serendipitous collisions that they have in the stacks.  For instance, the Digital Public Library of America's Bookshelf, simulates shelf browsing and uses colors and different size bars to help with the browsing experience. Even making changes within the physical library itself can be rewarding. Moving different collections to areas that have high access, such as near the computers or the cafe or even meeting rooms can help with these serendipity discoveries.

Evaluation:
I think the more that libraries can do to help patrons find what they might not have been looking for is great. I usually don't browse through the stacks anymore. More often than not I know what I want to read and look for that particular item. I use to browse the stacks all the time and it would make my day when I found a book that truly intrigued me. I loved wandering the shelves, my fingers running along the spines of books, and pulling them off the shelf to read the dust jacket. This article brings up several good points. He mentions studies that MIT did in determining productivity. They discovered that by putting people into situations where they could easily collide with different perspectives and new ideas increased productivity, new ideas and innovation. I liked how the author describes that these experiences don't have to be defined by a physical space, that while it is tougher, it can work just as well in a digital environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment