Monday, May 11, 2020


Why we need diversity formats of information in our collection
I had ignored the usefulness of different formats of information until recently. When I am looking for hair clip for my hair, I suddenly recalled the type of hair clip Daisy used for her hair. Daisy (Google, 2013, Figure 1) is one of main character in the film <The great Gatsby>. Her hair style and shape of face similar to mine. So I searched on Google and found the film post I needed as below.



Recently I worked with English department to develop collection in Romeo and Juliet. English teacher told me that she needs diversity formats of the play. At my course of instructional plan, I learned the learning style and its connection with learning effect. Although, Daniel Willingham (Sanderson 2011, p.380) argues that auditory presentation of information is most useful when meaning is connected to that form of information.

I visited the Romeo and Juliet pages on Britannica School. Screenshot of it is as follows. I found that if materials I contact first, the best way for me to understand the content is combination of visual and auditory presentation of information. When I heard something I do not understand, I can know what the presenter is talking about by watch his presentation on video.

Figure 2. Screenshot of Romeo and Juliet webpage taken by Qing Zhao, accessed May 8th 2020,  Retrieved from https://school.eb.com/levels/high/search/articles?query=Romeo+and+Juliet&includeLevelThree=true

When I chose new database, my suppliers offer me the introduction of their products, which all containing information of diversity of formats. The table below is made by me to compare offering from 2 different database suppliers. From teacher and vendor, they all require materials in diversity formats. I am an intermediary person between them, I realized the low interest in technology has affected quality of my work.

Complete online package database
Student Resources Database
Opposing viewpoints database
For students
y
y
y
For teachers and administrators
y
n
n




Magazines
y
y
y
newspapers
y
y
y
biographics
y
y
y
primary sources document
y
y
y
encyclopeidas and reference books
y
y
y
images
y
y
y
maps
n
y
y
video
y
y
y



















References:

Figure 2. Screenshot of Romeo and Juliet page. (n.d.). Britannica School, Retrieved from https://school.eb.com/levels/high/search/articles?query=Romeo+and+Juliet&includeLevelThree=true

Sanderson, Heather. (2011). “Using Learning Styles in Information Literacy: Critical Considerations.” Journal of Academic Librarianship 37 (5): 376–85

No comments:

Post a Comment