Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Strong school libraries help give California students the best chance to succeed.

 A Ph.D. dissertation by Doug Achterman written in 2008, titled "Haves, Halves, and Have-Nots: School Libraries and Student Achievement in California" discusses the strength of the relationship between California school library media programs and student achievement. Doug Achterman, used data from California criterion-referenced state-wide tests, publicly available school and community demographic data, and a state survey of school library programs to determine the fact that there is a benefit in having school library media programs and increased student achievement. The results of the study indicate a substantial discrepancy in library staffing levels from the elementary grades through the high schools. 

Basically, a study found that when there was a certificated librarian teaching students and assisted them their academic achievement increased. The report stated that when there was a librarian that was classified the students didn't show as great of achievement if there was a certified librarian. 

This report is interesting to me because before being the Certified Librarian at my school I was a Certified Elementary Teacher. In order for me to stay in the role of the teacher librarian I have to have my teacher librarian credential. I do believe that someone who is classified can do a good job as a librarian, however after being almost done with my teacher librarian credential I know that being a certified librarian will hope students that much more. 

Dissertation: https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc9800/


No comments:

Post a Comment