Saturday, November 18, 2023

A call for research-informed services for Black and African-American students

Reference

Davis, R., & Saunders, L. (2022). Beyond lip service: A call for research-informed services for Black and African-American students. Journal of Academic Librarianship., 48(6). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acalib.2021.102479   

Summary

Library leadership in America has committed verbally to serving the underserved - especially Black and African American student populations - time and time again, states Davis and Saunders (2022), but in order to do that, academic library staff nationwide need to understand these students’ experiences. Their article outlines research done on those experiences. When it comes to college libraries, for example, Davis and Saunders report “African-American students are unlikely to ask for help in the research process either from their instructors or from librarians and that reluctance to seek help might be complicated by race” (2022, p. 3). In order to better serve this population, Davis and Saunders suggest librarians gain a “clear, research-based understanding of the experiences, needs, and expectations of the Black and African-American students they intend to serve,” (2022, p. 4). 

Evaluation 

As a high school librarian gaining my library teaching credential, I know how important it is to understand one’s patrons on as many levels as possible. I have done my best to enhance my library’s collection, putting my purchasing power behind buying materials written by Black and African-American authors telling their own stories. Prior to this article, however, I thought that - as well as my empathy and anti-racist beliefs - would carry me through. Now, however, I feel strongly that I need to take that to the next level and educate myself through seeking out research that highlights the experiences and necessities of the students I work with in my school library everyday.


Abby Souza


No comments:

Post a Comment