Monday, February 16, 2015

Classroom Library Organization

Hubschman, Amy

Resource:
Newingham, B.  (2009, October 6). A virtual peek into my classroom library.  [Web log comment] Retrieved from http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/top_teaching/2009/10/classlibrary


It's amazing how much damage three days worth of substitutes can cause to a classroom library.  Sadly I had to attend an out of town conference last week which meant entrusting my 2nd grade students, my classroom, and my materials to a substitute for three days.  Upon my return I had nothing short of a hot mess in my classroom and the biggest casualty was my poor classroom library.
After having my students sort our 1,500+ classroom books into specific genres we placed each book in its appropriate labeled basket and scanned each book with the IntelliScanner I became aware of from Beth Newingham.   

Summary:  Beth Newingham is an award winning classroom teacher, well-known blogger, and educational consultant for Scholastic.  Her Scholastic blog takes a virtual look into her own classroom library and the organizational format she uses with her high-performing third grade students.  This particular blog post explains how to create and implement an effective elementary level, classroom library.

Evaluation:  Beth Newingham has amazing organizational and education ideas.  Her scholastic blog listed in the resource list as well as her personal school website, http://hil.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/, are filled with information useful to any individual pursuing a teaching degree or a school librarian degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment